Oh yes, crab, bubbled down with some calaloo, and if you want some green figs (bananas) some yam, Tanya, all seasoned up and yes lets not forget the pepper. Ohhh I can feel my stomach rumble, I can almost taste of the tropics. I can just dream of taking a place of it and sitting in my veranda and listen to the neighbours comment about the heavenly aroma coming from my house. Back off you vultures, this crab and calaloo is all mine.
- Chicken marinate
- 1- 1½ pound skinned chicken thighs
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt or creole seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon chicken bouillon powder
- 1-2 teaspoon green seasoning
- ¼ – ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil (or canola)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons creole spice
- 2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 3 cups butternut squash (large dice)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 13.5 oz. can (1¾ cups) coconut milk
- 15.5 oz. can pigeon beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 small bay leaves
- Salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 3 ½ cups or more chicken broth or water
- 1-teaspoon chicken bouillon (optional)
- 1 whole scotch bonnet pepper.
- 1 teaspoons paprika (optional)
- Place chicken in a large bowl or sauce pan then add salt, garlic, ginger, thyme, white pepper and green onions
- Mix chicken with a spoon or with hands until they are well coated, set aside in the fridge. If possible marinate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- When ready to cook shake off any excess spice or from the chicken.
- Wash rice until water runs clear. Drain water. Set aside,
- Place a large Dutch Oven or heavy bottom pan on medium heat, then add sugar, keep stirring until it caramelize and begin to turn deep brown. Be careful not to let it burn.
- Stir in chicken and sauté for about 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently. I usually reserve some chicken to top the rice but it must be fully cooked.
- Then add onions, garlic, thyme, oil, bay leaf and ketchup, sauté for about a minute.
- Stir in rice to the pan, followed by squash and pigeon peas for about 3 minutes. This process helps to infuse the ingredients with all the spice before the next step
- Finally add coconut milk, bouillon powder, creole spice, with 3 ¼ cups of water, bring to a boil reduce heat, and simmer until rice is cooked, about 20 minutes or more. Stir frequently from the sides to prevent burns, add more broth if needed.
- Adjust for salt and pepper. Discard bay leaves .You have to stir occasionally to be preventing any burns.
- Serve warm
I have not had breadfruit in a while, hmmmmm, this summer, I will eat myself into a dream land. All island food all the time.
Somewhere on the island, someone is eating a great lunch.
If only I had this I would serve it with some Lambi (conch) Seasoned over night, stewed down with some green peppers, tomatoes, spices, hot pepper, with a nice thick brown gravy. Ohhh how I would love that.
Ohh yes, all I could say is yum
Skip to content
Oh dear lord, here they come again, damn humans, and I was sooo close to that trash can, try some of that unhealthy crap they eat. I know, I know, I should not eat it but damn those hot dogs are great. Oh hell, its a bunch of girls, looks like they on some sports team or something. Oh dear lord, I don’t know who is worse, the humans that try to kill me, or those that think I am cute. Let me just hide under this bench so they don’t see me. Oh damn, they are sitting down, now I can’t move. Oh I see you going eat that damn food right in front of me? Don’t you know your toes look mighty tasty right now. Damn humans, a brother can’t even eat in peace around here. Watch this, watch this, am going make they day. 1…. 2…… 3…… yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Look at them scatter, look at them. Little old me, what they think I can do, look at them scream and run. Yeah next time, share your damn food. Damn humans.
Ohhh boy me stomach rumbling already. Look at that broth, I could smell the seasoning, all that pepper, carrots, tomatoes, dumplings, Irish potatoes. Its like biting into paradise. Hmmm, that’s what I am going to make today. Off to the kitchen, Sunday lunch coming up.
All ah dat vegetable,, wid some dumplings and tomatoes, and breadfruit, man me just got real hungry you know, so instead of writing, I go go to de kitchen and cook up some ah dis ital.
Hmmmm I think I shall